Top 10 List: Favorite Cake Recipes


A couple of weeks ago I decided to put together a series of posts highlighting my favorite recipes from some categories where I have dozens to choose from. I started the series with my favorite cookies, and last week asked fans on Facebook to choose between cakes and ice cream for the next installment. The overwhelming majority asked for favorite cake recipes, so here they are!
Now, full disclosure is in order here. Believe it or not, I am not a huge cake fan. Cake in the traditional sense of what you think of when you think of birthday cake – the fluffy white, yellow and chocolate cake with frosting. There are just tons of other desserts I’d much rather eat. I do have a favorite white cake recipe and a kick-butt favorite chocolate cake recipe (both of which are included below), but the rest are variations of cheesecakes and other non-traditional cakes and tortes that have stolen my heart (and taste buds). Enjoy browsing!
1. Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake – The most popular cake recipe on this site and for all kinds of good reasons: Oreo crust, creamy cheesecake, chunks of brownies, chocolate ganache. This particular recipe holds a special place in my heart; I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
2. Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – I absolutely adore carrot cake, and this is by far one of the two best I have ever had. Delicious!
3. Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte – This is definitely in the top 3 of my list. An Oreo crust (again), a peanut butter mousse with chopped peanuts and chocolate chips, all topped with a chocolate ganache and chopped peanuts. Totally adore this recipe.
4. Fig and Almond Cheesecake – Inspired by a dessert that we enjoyed at the top of the CN Tower in Toronto, this cheesecake has a crust with finely ground almonds, a layer of delicious figs and is topped with an amaretto creme anglaise. A seriously amazing dessert.
5. Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake – The best chocolate cake I have ever made. Period. My go-to.
6. Hidden Berry Cream Cheese Torte – Can you tell I love cheesecakes?? This one has a wonderful shortbread-style crust, a layer of fruit jam and is topped with a wonderfully creamy cheesecake. I need to make this again soon.
7. New York-Style Crumb Cake – Crumb cake is an essential component in any baker’s arsenal. This one is amazing. Love all those crumbs!
8. Perfect Party Cake – This is my go-to white cake recipe, and I adjust the flavors based on the occasion. Wonderfully light and moist, perfect for spring and summer parties, showers, etc. Literally, the perfect party cake.
9. Russian Grandmothers’ Apple Pie-Cake – I love apple pie. I love nontraditional cakes. I love that this recipe combines them both. A pile of apples stacked high between cake-like crust layers. Really unique and absolutely delicious.
10. Tiramisu – Tiramisu really needs no introduction. It is fabulous beyond words. And once you make it from scratch at home you’ll scoff at the ones in most restaurants (except for the ones that make it homemade – those are fabulous too!).